Wednesday, October 15, 2008

First rehab session

Today was my first day of rehab at Integrative Pet Care. I was scheduled for some therapeutic exercise and some time on the underwater treadmill. I was way psyched when I arrived as my agility pal Ryder was there too. He and his brother were in for their acupuncture treatments, no needles for me, thanks. Dr. Molly Flaherty worked with me today. She was super nice and really patient with me when I wouldn't listen to her. He he!

We did all kinds of stretching exercises. Dr. Flaherty worked real hard on my hind legs since my soft tissue problem is in my right hind leg. She found that I was more agreeable to stretching when a treat was involved!
See, I'll give her good form for a treat!
We tried out several different things, some to stretch, others to simply use my sore muscles.
Then, Dr. Flaherty brought out the ball. Big mistake. Mom has one of these at home, and I attack it whenever she brings it out, so you know I wasn't going to do these stretches nicely! I was wiggly and tried to bite the ball, very unruly. He he!
Finally, Dad got me to calm down and we stretched me out. Ahhhh, that feels good, now on to the water!
I was a bit apprehensive about getting into the treadmill tank, but then Dr. Flaherty filled it up with warm water and it felt (and tasted) so good! We did some walking, and we will build up to running on the treadmill.

Here I am walking nice and slow. This is way weird and it took me awhile to get used to it.

After walking on the treadmill, Dr. Flaherty turned on the whirlpool jets and rubbed me down while the jets worked on my muscles. My fellow dogs, I highly recommend this. It was like being at the doggie spa! I was a bit nervous when the bubbles first came up, but then realized they were just part of the water.
After my time in the chlorinated water, they gave me a yucky shower to rinse me off. I didn't like this at all, but Mom and Dad said to suck it up, so I did.

I'm going back on Saturday for an ultrasound treatment and then more treadmill. I think I'm liking this rehab thing, but now I am super tired. Good night all, I'm off to bed!

'till next time,
Kirby

12 comments:

Lacy said...

w00f's kirby, me iz shure glad rehab wuz ok..dat water lookied likefun..me wood do anything fur a treat too...heehee now u will b playin wiff ur mama's big ball at home...

b safe,
~rocky~

i said...

Hi Kirby, sounds like you are doing fine at the rehab there. The doggy spa sounds really appealing.

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Those excercise looks fine to help you get better Kirby. :)

~ Girl girl

Huskee and Hershey said...

Hi Kirby,
Gee.. you are doing the 'in' thing Kirby.. I read about Hollywood celebs going to rehab all the time so this must be the right thing to do!
I kinda like the looks of that spa thingy..

Molly the Airedale said...

We bet that hot water felt so good to you! You're making this rehab stuff sound very relaxing and very fun! We wish we could go too!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Noah the Airedale said...

No wonder your tired matie, that looked like hard work. Glad you enjoyed it though.
Good luck with the treatment. Hope it works wonders!

tailwags
Noah

Ferndoggle said...

That rehab doesn't look so bad...I see lots of treats in this post! Hope you can stick with it b/c I'll bet you'll be as good as new real soon!!!!

Sherman

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Kirby, Kirby...if you'd just let me know...I've been in Australia with Noah doin' rehab on him...yeppers that Lacie Lakie Linament does fine things for the sore male Dale. And massages? Oh la la...I am but the best.

All topped off with a relaxin' chillaxin' Smoothie...just let me know when you need a sesson!

Loved the treadmill in the water...you looked um sorta pathetic but it's good for ya Kirb...hang in there!!

Soothin' licks,
Laciegirl

The Black and Tans. said...

Hello Kirby

That looked like a lot of work, but the water was the bestest bit. You did look a little apprehensive but I expect you will become used to it in time and enjoy it more. Our paws are crossed this treatment works really well for you.

Have a good weekend

Molly and Taffy

Princess Patches said...

It looks like you had some fun at rehab, Kirby! We hope it makes your leggie all better very soon! Our mom bought us some big balls sort of like that one, but we refused to play with them, so our mom gave them to the little girl next door. Her doggies don't play with them either!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

erin said...

Kirby,
You did look very serious in that water treadmill thing. Did you really like it? My girl wants to teach me to walk on a treadmill but I'm pretty sure she's just dreaming. I'm way too much of a clown! Anyhow, I hope your leg gets better soon.
Woof,
Keeley

Anonymous said...

Hey, the ball, I got sorry had one in the basement. Momma Dog liked to sit on it, but I BIT it up GOOD. Then brought it to her, all flat and jelly-like. Momma was so happy, really try it with the ball. They are only $40 a ball. HEHEHE Rufus


BubbleShare: Share photos - Powered by BubbleShare